Healthy relationships are happy ones. It is important to know what constitutes a healthy relationship. Not everyone is happy all the time, and arguments are part and parcel of relationships, but there are some general signs of a healthy, equal relationship, whereby your partner:
- listens to you and values your opinion
- respects your feelings
- trusts you
- is happy for you to spend time with your own friends
- would never physically hurt you
- would never call you names, threaten you or make you feel bad
- makes you feel comfortable and safe to be yourself
- accepts when you say no to things you don’t want to do
- never tries to control who you see, where you go or what you wear.
Not all relationships involve sex. However, if you do choose to have sex, it should be something you do once you are both ready, and you should both enjoy it.
Find out how to ensure you have safe sex.
If you are worried your relationship is abusive, there are places you can go to get help.